Designing Your Ultimate Alfresco
Eleven planning questions to get you started
Whether it’s starting from scratch, revamping your patio into a divine alfresco area or extending your outdoor entertaining area, you need a plan.
To help get you started, here are eleven planning questions to consider before starting to design your ultimate alfresco.
- What is my alfresco area going to be used for?
- Am I designing it for entertaining or for “me time”?
- How often do I plan to use my alfresco area?
- What time of day (morning, afternoon, evening or all the time) will I use my alfresco area the most?
- What is the orientation of my alfresco area?
- Do I plan to use it all year round?
- How much maintenance am I prepared to do?
- Do I have trees overhanging that will drop leaves?
- Do I want my alfresco area to be weatherproof?
- Do I want flexible roofing and walls, or fixed structures?
- What look and feel do I like in designs?
By answering these questions you should get a clear picture of what you want your outdoor space to look like. And, how you want it to function.